Tuesday 12 January 2010

The 'what' the 'where' and the 'when'.......?

More about our first spring and what goes where and when. The days are getting longer and I'm itching to get going.

As I am clueless as to what to do next I decide to go to a garden centre for answers. This time there are no fancy
baubles to distract me and my quest to find the right plants for the season. Think again!

I walked into a world of commercial gardening at its best. Where there were packets of this, bags of that, sacks of the other. A huge array of products to help things grow; help kill things - plantlike and animal/insectlike; any numb
er of varieties of garden tools, manual and mechanical; outdoor clothing, gloves, boots, aprons; some books; pots and containers not to mention garden furniture to die for; oh boy! and we hadn't even got to the plant section!

I had decided that anything I saw in a garden centre at any given time, would be OK to buy and plant. So that sorted out the 'when' factor. The 'where' came off the label on the pot/packets by way of these handy little symbols
.

The plant section was vast and bewildering. I made yet another decision. If I liked the look of the plant, I would then and see if the plant would fit somewhere in my garden. So that's the plan.


Resisting the temptation to buy everything I liked, I bought some conifers to form a small hedge to define the upper section of the garden.

As my first foray into the English way
of gardening seemed to be quite successful, I felt a bit of remodeling of the garden was within my capabilities.



I had spotted some plants I thought would do very well in a rockery at the base of the tree. At the end of some digging, clearing and finding some rocks. I had a small rockery.





No comments:

Post a Comment