Tuesday 15 December 2009

My first garden centre



At about this time of the year in 1994, we had settled in a bit more; kids off to school or college; starting to find our way around and feeling less like we had just got off the boat.

A colleague invited me to go and see a deemonstration of flower arranging at a nearby garden centre. I would not normally be that interested in flower arranging as I consider myself as being a total dork in that area. To my regret I may add because I wish I had the ability to arrange flowers, but the skill eludes me.

Being December, it was cold, however, we all gathered in an annex which was like a big tent. nI thought we were going to freesze, but no, the whole area was heated by massive plastic ducts which blew out hot air. It was marvellous.

A gentleman then arrived and proceeded to dazzle us with the most unbelievable creations. They were more like sculptures made out of folliage and flowers, some very exotic. He gave a running commetary as he worked. I remember one of this masterpieces was a giant peacock which stood over eight feet high. So clever! I was enthralled and thrilled to have been there.

Afterwards we wandered into the garden centre proper. Well, I was in for a surprise! It was like walking into a fantasy land. I had never seen so many Christmas decorations in my life! They were arranged by colour, each in its own space. The colours were amazing; rich reds, greens and blues; burgundy, silver and gold. All kinds of baubles, tinsel. stars, hanging things, bells and, and, and.... I was gobsmacked. I realised then that Christmas decorating in the UK was a big business and that I could get really carried away here.

That was my first garden centre. I didn't even get to see the garden section!


No comments:

Post a Comment